Preview the Items You Can Own
Have you ever wanted a close-up view of the Harry from Harry and the Hendersons? Or wished you could have a 12-foot-tall Men in Black alien? Now is your chance to collect these rare items, and more, when special make-up effects legend Rick Baker auctions off his creations on May 29. Prop Store will sell the items in a no-reserve auction starting at 11 a.m. PDT at the Hilton Universal City in Los Angeles; bids can be made in person, via telephone (+1 818-727-7829) or online. Follow the link to download the full Rick Baker: Monster Maker catalog.
Brandon Alinger, the Chief Operations Officer of the Los Angeles Prop Store, said Baker contacted them to work together to clear more than 30 years of make-up history to prepare for the auction. In 2014, Baker decided to downsize his Cinovation Studios and sell the building, according to Alinger, who added that, while Baker isn’t planning to retire, he no longer has room for his large collection of work.
“This is definitely a unique opportunity. In my mind, it marks the end of an era. … I think it’s quite a thing to watch that place [Cinovation Studios] come apart. You just got the sense that it was the end of something very special,” said Alinger.
Prop Store has never held an event on the scale of this one, according to Alinger. He also said that while Baker kept several things for himself, he wanted to share his work “with people who would cherish it.” Selling everything at no reserve (i.e., an unadvertised base rate) removes financial barriers for fans and collectors: Every item starts at $5, and the bidders determine the final price.
The collection includes 417 lots from 50 productions spanning Baker’s career. Its estimated total value is $750,000, and pre-bidding started April 16. An online edition of the full-color catalog features additional images and videos.
Here are some of the items available:
- Full-Size Alien Edgar Bug Animatronic Character, Men in Black (estimated value: $30,000 – $40,000)
- Mikey (John Alexander) Costume Display, Men in Black (estimated value: $20,000 – $30,000)
- Oversized Worm Guy Animatronic Insert Puppet, Men in Black II (estimated value: $8,000 – $10,000)
- Servo Operated Mohawk Mogwai Puppet, Gremlins 2: The New Batch (estimated value: $6,000 – $8,000)
- Grinch (Jim Carrey) Santa Costume Display, How The Grinch Stole Christmas (estimated value: $6,000 – $8,000)
- Harry (Kevin Peter Hall) Head, Hands, Feet and Muscle Suit; Harry and the Hendersons (estimated value: $4,000 -$6,000)
- Hero Joe (John Alexander) R/C Animatronic Head, Mighty Joe Young (estimated value: $4,000 – $6,000)
- Michael Jackson Complete Head Lifecast, Michael Jackson: Moonwalker (estimated value: $1,000 – $1,500)
- Ray Gibson (Eddie Murphy) Old Age Test Bust with Shirt, Life (estimated value: $1,000 – $1,500)
- Incredible Melting Man Zombie Face and Hand Appliances, Michael Jackson: Thriller (estimated value: $400 – $600)
- Mid-Transformation Werewolf Back Mold, An American Werewolf in London (estimated value: $800 – $1,000)
You can follow the Rick Baker: Monster Maker live auction on social media via #RickBakerAuction. Return to makeupmag.com for complete coverage.